Zein at Home: DIY Bird Feeder
Winter bids need lots of energy to stay warm, and on winter days food can be difficult to find. Putting a bird feeder in the garden is not only beneficial for our fluttering friends but making one at home is also a fun activity for an autumnal afternoon.
You will need:
- pine cone
- coconut oil/suet
- birdseed mix
- jute/garden string
- Leave the coconut oil or suet to warm to room temperature.
- Wrap a length of string around the end of the pine cone so it can hang from a tree branch.
- Add in the bird seed
- Mix together with hands, ensuring the seeds are well distributed through the fat.
- Add more seeds if necessary.
- Smother the pine cone or acorn in the seed mix, ensuring the mixture is worked into the gaps well.
- Leave to set and then hang in the garden for the birds to enjoy.
When hanging in the garden, encourage your child to engage by asking questions such as: Which birds come to eat from the feeder? What colours are they? Can your child draw them?