Recruitment FAQs

We are always happy to assist candidates with questions on our recruitment processes, but before calling or email please check the list below to see if your questions has already been answered.

What kind of candidates are you looking for?

Aside from formal qualifications, it is important that applicants are able to demonstrate either an international background or an internationally focused mindset. Ideally candidates will have either lived, worked or studied abroad and speak more than one language. However, a genuine interest in understanding and appreciating not just the advantages but also the challenges that the international life style of Zein’s clients can have on the children in their care is most important.

We also select staff based on their openness to embracing the vision and pedagogic approach of Zein. We have a specific way of working which is very attractive to open minded candidates looking to learn and further to develop their skills.

If you are not currently qualified to work in childcare in Holland, you may wish to consider the Zein Academy International Talent Programme.

What does the recruitment process involve?

The recruitment process for a position at Zein varies according to the vacancy you are applying for. As a general rule, however, it consists of an initial personal interview, this may be followed by a second follow up interview depending on the type of position and/or number of other candidates. Candidates applying to work directly with children will also need to undertake a trial day at one of our locations. Performance during this trial day will be assessed and used as a contributing factor in the decision making process before a position is offered.

For more senior positions, or vacancies within the business units, there is also a skills testing element within the recruitment process.

We also perform a reference check on all applicants prior to offering a position – as well as the compulsory police check.

How do I know if I am qualified to work in childcare in the Netherlands?

To work in childcare in the Netherlands you need to be qualified according to Dutch regulations.

If you have a Dutch diploma, then you can check if you are fully qualified through this link.

If you have a diploma from another European country, then you will need to apply for recognition of your qualification through DUO (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs). Further information on this process is available through this link.

If you have a diploma from outside the EU, you first need to do an international credential evaluation. This is a written statement, which indicates the value of a foreign diploma or study programme in the Netherlands. It contains a comparison of a foreign diploma or study programme with the Dutch educational system. You can apply for a credential evaluation through In some cases this is enough, but sometimes, when it is not completely clear if a diploma is enough, a check can be done through the FCB –

If you find your qualification is not formally recognised by the Dutch Authorities then you may wish to consider applying for a place on the Zein Academy International Talent Programme.

Why should I choose Zein?

Zein is a successful and growing company with multiple locations in The Hague. As the leading provider in International Day Care, Pre-School, After School Care and Holiday Camps in the Netherlands, we are dedicated to providing quality international childcare, positive interactive learning, and memorable experiences.

We offer a number of benefits including:

  • Attractive salary package and bonus scheme
  • In-house Zein Training Academy
  • First Aid & Emergency Response Training
  • One-to-one coaching from managers
  • Opportunity for growth and internal promotions
  • Beautiful locations with exceptional facilities conforming to CAO regulations
  • Personal Development Assistance Programme
  • Smaller group sizes than the average Dutch Childcare

How do I apply for a job at Zein Child Care?

To apply for a job at Zein you need to send an up to date CV and a letter of application explaining your motivation for applying for this position and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate.

Your letter of application should be written in English. We prefer CVs to be in English, but if yours is lengthy then we will accept initial applications with a Dutch CV – this is based on the understanding that if you are selected for interview an English translation may be requested.

All documents should be emailed directly to – we will acknowledge receipt and inform you of the timescale in place for the particular vacancy you are applying for.

I have heard I need a 'VOG' or Police Check to work for Zein - what is that and how do I get it?

If you want to work in child care in the Netherlands you need to have a Certificate of Good Conduct, or a ‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’ (VOG). This is also known as a Certificate of Good Behaviour.  You will not be able to start work at Zein Child Care before you are in possession of this certificate/declaration.

You may apply for a VOG online or in the municipality where you are registered. Applying online is faster and cheaper than submitting a paper application via your municipality. If you are not registered at any municipality in the Netherlands, then you will need to apply for it directly at the Ministry of Security and Justice.

The applicant and employer need to submit the online application together. The process is as follows:

  • Zein Child Care requests a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) for the employee through the  website of the Dienst Justis (Integrity and Screening Agency).
  • Once Zein Child Care has requested the application, the employee will receive an email with a link to the subsequent procedure. Employees log in with their DigiD and pay for the certificate through iDeal. In order to request the certificate, the employee needs a valid email address, iDeal and a DigiD code. The employee also must be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).
  • Once the application has been completed and payment has been made, the Centraal Orgaan Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag (COVOG) will decide if the employee will get the certificate. If so, the employee will receive the certificate within 4 weeks by post. As soon as the certificate is received, the employee needs to contact the Human Resources department of Zein Child Care.
  • Candidates who subsequently start work for Zein will have their VOG costs refunded.

More information about applying for a Certificate of Good Conduct online can be found on the website of the Ministry of Security and Justice.

What are the terms of employment at Zein?

The terms of employment at Zein Child Care are in line with the Dutch collective labour agreement for Childcare (CAO Kinderopvang).  More information about the CAO Kinderopvang can be found here.

To give a salary indication: the salary range for the position of a Child Care Practitioner is between € 2.128 and € 2.899 gross per month based on a 36 hours working week. There is an incremental salary increase after one year of employment. An additional 8% Holiday Allowance is paid monthly – rather than held back and paid in May. Additionally, there is a 3% end of year payment.

Pension entitlements are built up through through Pensioenfonds Zorg & Welzijn.

What are the holiday entitlements?

According to the collective labour agreement for childcare (CAO Kinderopvang) you are entitled to 210 hours holiday per year based on a 36 hour working week.

More information about the CAO Kinderopvang can be found here.

What kind of contract term will I receive if appointed?

All new employees will start with a 1 year contract – the two months of which are probationary.

Working Hours

Day Care Practitioner hours range from 24 to 40 hours per week. Shift patterns are set by the Location Manager. Candidates should be willing to work early, middle and late shifts

Out of School Care contract hours range from 12 to 25 a week. Out of School Care practitioners are expected to be available for work during Holiday Camps – including the majority of weeks during Summer Camps.

Substitute/Supply Child Care Practitioners have flexible hours depending on requirements.

What kind of training will I receive if appointed?

All Zein employees undertake an initial induction programme to ensure that new colleagues become familiarised with the general protocols used at Zein.

Zein Academy Training Programme
In addition to this induction process, all staff are expected to follow the Zein Academy Staff Training Programme. This programme consists of various  topics delivered in a workshop/seminar format. New staff are automatically enrolled on this programme.

First Aid & Emergency
In support of our high level of service we ensure that all care workers receive regular and up to date First Aid and Emergency training.

Latest News

Visit Our Facebook